Do you love beef brisket? Do you love them baked in the oven? I love them baked in the oven! That meaty, chewy, and juicy oven-baked beef! Yummy! I can’t get enough of it! If you are a brisket lover, you would want to know how to cook beef brisket in an oven. That is why I wish to write in detail one of the best recipes for making beef brisket. If you are trying to learn this recipe, then have some patience, take your notebook and pen and start noting down points from this article. I hope you will enjoy this recipe!
Beef brisket – this cut is positioned in the lower part of the chest of a cow. This cut of beef is very tough. It has a lot of tendons and muscles. As we all know, if we are to cook meat from this area, we have to cook it at low flame temperature for a very long period.
You can divide the beef brisket into two main parts – flat and point. The ‘flat’ indicates the bottom portion of the cut. The reason is that this part does not have any fat. On the other hand, the top portion of the cut has a lot more fat than the quantity of meat. That is why it is called ‘point.’
We cook our beef brisket part as a whole. We want the point part’s fat to slowly melt and go towards the flat part of the cut. Because of this melted fat, the meat becomes juicy. The main concern during brisket shopping is that most shops offer only the flat part without the point part. It is better to visit the butcher shop and order one as a whole so that the shop can secure one for you. As you will be paying, the shop does not have any reason not to keep a brisket for you.
But anyway, if you do not have the full cut, work with the flat part with more fat. For the best taste, you have to use a smoker for cooking the beef brisket Texas-style. But the availability of a smoker is impossible for everyone. We can make use of our oven. In the oven, we can cook this meat slowly in an oven.
Beef Brisket – Dry Rub Recipe
One thing to remember if you want to know how to cook a beef brisket in an oven, let me tell you this in advance. You must start the preparation the day before you are going to cook the brisket. If you give enough time, the meat will take all the flavor from the ‘dry rub.’ This will give you a better result if you do that. I will discuss this enigmatic ‘dry rub’ in the latter part of the article. So, please, read till the end.
- First, we need to make dry rubs that we like. The usual time to make this will be about five minutes.
- After making the dry rub, let us focus on our brisket. Get the brisket out of the package. Put it on a dry wooden chopping board. It should be big enough to support the brisket. Now, dry the beef brisket with paper towels.
- Now, generously spread your dry rub over the beef and rub it well. Take your time rubbing it in. Do it for both sides. Do not forget the sides as well. In short, shower the brisket and drown it with a dry rub from all sides. Keep massaging till you are sure that no place on the brisket has gone unrubbed.
- Wrap the brisket with foil paper. Make sure you make the wrap a multilayered one. Wrap it tightly. Now, put it inside a plastic bag to make sure that there will be no dropping or leaking of meat juice. Or, you can put it on a pan or a big enough dish.
- The brisket needs to be refrigerated for 12 hours. After that, bring out the brisket an hour before and open all the wrappings so that it can be at room temperature.
- For this awesome brisket cooking, we will need an oven preheated at 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Take a roasting pan and fit a rack inside the pan. Take a few foils. Cover the brisket with the foils and loosely cover them crisscrossed after placing the brisket on the rack.
- Also, place a layer of sheets of foils on the pan so that you can gather all meat juice for later use.
Size of the Servings
- At this point, you want to know how much meat you should buy. Roughly 280 grams of meat per serving is the standard one. For a family of four, you should get 2000 grams of raw meat. You do not want your guests disappointed. So, cook a bit more, and you can always keep the leftovers in the freezer. You can add a fresh salad and some fruits. Yogurt is a good choice too.
- So, you went and bought a lot of meat, and there is some leftover. How do you store?
- Cool down the brisket at room temperature. By the way, after the meal, meat would have already cooled. Now, wrap it very tightly with layers of aluminum foil and then put it in the freezer. You can store it safely for 2 days. If you do not feel like eating alone, call your friends over. Make some snacks as burger or Taco wraps.
- Easy. Bring out the brisket. Thaw it at room temperature. Wrap it up in foil paper. Put it inside an oven preheated at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 35 minutes.
Preparing the Dry Rub
- 4 tablespoons of brown sugar – dark.
- 4 tablespoons of paprika – smoked.
- 2 tablespoons of salt – coarse.
- 1 tablespoon of pepper – ground, and black.
- 2 teaspoons of garlic – powder.
- 2 teaspoons of onion – powder.
- 1 teaspoon of cumin.
- 1 teaspoon of coriander – ground.
- 1 teaspoon of pepper – cayenne.
- Combine everything in the list in a bowl and store. To mix, you can cover the bowl with a plate and shake well for a long time. Wear a mask because the dust from the mixture may cause you to sneeze. You can use it right at that moment or store it away for six months.
I hope you like cooking beef brisket in the oven. Do not be shy to give it a try. I am sure you will love it.