Tofu is the base of this recipe, along with some delicious spices and a gorgeous sauce that will satisfy everyone. The plain nature of tofu lends itself perfectly to this heady mixture of ingredients for a highly satisfying burger. We’ve included a variety of toppings along with other serving ideas if you want them (see FAQs below).
These tasty tofu burgers are perfect for family dinners, barbecues, special occasions, or just to have on hand for yourself.
This recipe serves 4 people.
Ingredients for the burgers
- 1 package of firm or extra-firm tofu (14 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 to 2 tablespoons sriracha (optional, if you like spice: add more if you want extra-spicy)
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 shallot or small red onion, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon lemongrass paste (or lemon zest)
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Drizzle of olive oil
Ingredients for the toppings
- One bun per person, toasted
- Extra sriracha sauce
- Sliced carrots
- Sliced cucumber
- Julienned bell peppers
- Sliced red onion
- Cherry tomatoes
- Extra bits of fresh herbs (for garnish)
- First, prepare your tofu by removing it from the package and draining the water. Press excess moisture out of the block of tofu using a tofu press like this or wrap it in a towel and press weight on top of it. If you use the towel method, leave your tofu in a colander and let it drain for 15-20 minutes.
- Once your tofu is ready, crumble it with your hands into a large bowl. (If you don’t want to do this yourself, get a willing child to help you).
- Add the remaining burger ingredients except for the olive oil to the bowl and mix well. Form into 4 burger patties.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat a bit of olive oil in a skillet and fry the burgers for a few minutes on both sides. You want to get the outside of each burger nice and brown.
- Transfer the burgers to the oven and bake them for 20 to 30 minutes or till they’re firm to the touch.
- Note: If you wish, you can toss in some extra slices of sweet peppers and red onions into the pan with the burgers to cook them together.
- Serve your burgers on the buns with the sriracha, mayonnaise, and slices of fresh veggies. Top with a sprinkling of fresh herbs, and enjoy!
Veggie Tofu Burger FAQs
What can I serve with my veggie burgers?
Here are some ideas for some tasty side dishes to serve with your veggie burgers:
- Coleslaw (you could add some sriracha to the coleslaw sauce for a spicy version)
- Corn on the cob
- Creamed spinach
- Onion rings
- Sweet potato fries
- Baked beans
- Pasta salad
- Roasted vegetables (eggplant, sweet peppers, onions, carrots, etc.)
- A soup
- A green salad
- Steamed vegetables (asparagus, broccoli, etc.)
Why do you use both the stove and the oven?
The stove browns the tofu burgers nicely, and the oven firms them up. Because you’re using tofu, the insides of these burgers are softer than meat burgers. This combo of cooking styles gives the very best results.
You are welcome to experiment with just using the stove or just the oven and see what works for you.
Why do you press the tofu?
Pressing tofu makes it more flavorful. If you think of tofu like a sponge, the less moisture it has inside, the easier it is for the tofu to soak up flavors from the spices and oil.
If you don’t press your tofu before frying your burgers, you may notice lots of water in your skillet. Water in the skillet means your burgers won’t brown – they’ll steam instead, which isn’t going to give you the crispy outside we’re after in this recipe.
Can I make this recipe gluten-free?
Yes, you can easily use gluten-free buns and gluten-free flour.
What other sauces could I serve with these burgers?
Tofu burgers go well with a variety of dipping sauces, including:
- Barbecue style
- Sweet and sour
- Creamy dill
- Honey and mustard
- Lemon and ginger
What if I don’t like spicy burgers?
If you prefer less spicy burgers, you could try this alternative recipe for the burgers. Follow the same method, using these ingredients for the burger mix with the tofu:
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 scallions, diced
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ OR nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce