A food mill is an essential kitchen tool. You are able to separate the pulp and liquid from the skin and seeds of fruit and veggies, cream foods, blend potatoes for the greatest mashed potatoes you have ever had. With a food mill you’ll be able to obtain a texture and consistency you can not achieve having a blender or processor and it is very much swifter and less tedious than seeking to get it done by hand If you’re a homemaker or a chef who love creating sauces, jellies, purees, and creams using fresh ground provisions, fruits, and vegetables, you would have used food mills of some sort. The good news is that many high-quality food mills are available that are just what you need for your food processing. The bad news is that there is also a wide range of poorly designed mills that are not worth the money you pay for them.
Top 5 Food Mills Recommend
How can you tell whether you’re making the right choice?
Research and satisfy yourself that you have all the information about food mills that you need. We have taken the trouble out of research so that you don’t have to wade through mountains of information. Our recommendations come after a thorough review of what is currently on the market.
First, here are a few things to consider when buying your food mill.
Things to Consider before Buying a Food Mill
Check for the handle, loops, or hooks that allow the food mill to connect to a bowl or pot. These features are designed to allow the food mill to sit or hang inside a mixing bowl or container. Not all food mills are the same so you must take your time to look for the best handle, hook, or loop arrangements that set the mill firmly and securely on the bowl or pot.
Check that the food mill comes with discs that are interchangeable – with these interchangeable discs you have greater flexibility in the types of sauces, creams, jellies and other items you can produce. Most high-quality food mills come with at least three such discs.
Check that the food mill holds more – The depth of the bowl is an excellent indicator of the capacity of your food mill. The deeper the container, the better. You can process a larger quantity of food faster. Another advantage is that with bigger bowls, you don’t have to wash too many dishes when you’re done. A recommended size is around 2 – 3 quarts or more.
Check your blade and how it rides – Does your blade swirl the food around instead of grabbing and shoving it through the disc? For the best results, the blade should catch and push the food through the disc. For this to happen, ensure that the blade slopes slightly and it rides near the sieve disc.
Check how easy your food mill is to assemble – It goes without saying that the easier something is to put together, the more you would want to use it. That is the case with food mills. Any food mill you choose to buy should be easy to put together for use as well as pull apart for cleaning.
Best 10 Food Mills Reviews are given below :
First up is the OXO Good Grips Food Mill, a versatile and handy unit that transforms chunky food into fine sauces and purees. Put anything from tomatoes, veggies, and tomatoes into the OXO and out comes fine mashed potatoes, tomato sauce, and vegetable soups. With this food mill, you can prepare a wide array of homemade ingredients for the health of your entire family. Equipped with three grinding discs, the OXO food mill helps you to prepare food in three textures – fine for creamy sauces and jellies, medium for vegetable soups and applesauce, and course for mashed potatoes. It’s your choice what you prepare in your kitchen with this versatile food mill. Did we mention that the interior is made of stainless steel? Yes, this means no stains to deal with, no frustration keeping this food mill clean.
Your OXO food mill is also perfect for both cold and hot foods. It’s not hard to use this food mill and storage is a snap. You also don’t need to worry about cleaning your food mill in the dishwasher as it is quite safe to do so. A feature you’ll find helpful is the release button that allows you to exchange the discs quickly and to pull the mill apart for storage. The OXO food mill is also equipped with three legs (non-slip) that keep it secure over your bowl or pot. To store the food mill, just fold the legs as well. Another convenient feature is the soft handles and knob that are comfortable to use and do not slip from your grasp, especially when turning the blade.
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Versatile with a variety of foods both cold and hot
- Saves time in the kitchen
- Very easy to pull apart, fold and store
- This mill has a capacity of 2.3 quarts.
- You still need to be careful to remove small seeds if you want a seedless sauce or puree.
It’s never been easier to prepare tomato puree, mashed potatoes, and apple sauce with the Granite Ware Stainless Steel Deluxe Food Mill. This deluxe food mill is your perfect solution for preserving and preparing the freshest sauces, purees, soups, and baby food. Not only does this food mill work wonders to transform your raw or prepared food into purees and sauces, but it also does this without the hassle of seeds and skins. All the seeding and peeling are done for you automatically. That’s a time-saving feature you’ll appreciate!
Your Granite Ware food mill also fits right over your mixing bowl and pot so you shouldn’t experience spills. With its handle and two end clips, you stabilize the food mill to make your food processing safe without the spills. Equipped with three stainless steel grinding discs (fine, medium, and course), the Granite Ware food mill allows you the flexibility of producing creamy sauces, smooth jellies, vegetable soups, applesauce, tomato sauce, mashed potatoes, and chunky sauces.
- Quite easy to assemble and use
- Versatile for producing different sauces, purees, and other kitchen creations
- Effectively separates seeds and skins from the pulp
- Fits well over pots and mixing bowls
- Safe to clean with your dishwasher
- The hooks are placed inconveniently at the top which causes the mill to sit too deep in pots or mixing bowls.
- The handles tend to dig into the palm, but this is not such a big deal.
Your life in the kitchen is less stressful with the Winco SVM Food Mill. By far a versatile tool that makes preparing sauces, jellies, soups, and purees quite a snap, this is a must-have tool in your home. Made of durable stainless steel, the Winco cranks out vegetable and fruit purees and sauces quite easily. This food mill works best with pre-cooked fruits and veggies. With its semi-circular blade it is easy to sweep, scrape, and compress whatever food is placed in it. Furthermore, the bar that straddles your mixing bowl or pot allows a constant pressure on the mill’s cutting plate.
The Winco is also resistant to rust, quite easy to clean and maintain, and it is safe to use in your dishwasher. You won’t want another food mill when you experience the convenience and versatility of this light, handheld Winco food mill.
- Assembling and using the Winco food mill is simple and hassle-free
- Cleans easily and is resistant to rusts and stains
- Very efficient in crushing foods
- You’ll need to turn the blades in both directions to get food into the crusher.
- Tends to miss crushed pulp if the bottom of crusher bowl is not swiped.
You might prefer the Mirro 50024 Foley Stainless Steel Food Mill Cookware for your tomato or apple sauces. You might even consider the Mirro above other food mills on the market. With its two-quart capacity, the Mirro is not a bad pick. Its silver finish and stainless steel construction make the Mirro food mill cookware an attractive choice as well. You won’t find it difficult to assemble and use the Mirro food mill cookware. Also expect to clean this unit easily, even in your dishwasher.
That said, you may need to ensure that the Mirro you get is working perfectly. Of course, you may not know everything about its performance without reading customer reviews first. The makers of the Mirro food mill cookware designed this unit with your comfort and convenience in mind. The feet, for example, were designed to rest on the pot or mixing bowl. They came up a little short.
- Designed to strain, mash, and grate food
- Allows you to prepare healthy food for your family
- The Mirro is made of stainless steel.
- The Mirro food mill cookware is inefficient – blades do not evenly meet the base of the mill leaving some food untouched.
- The screw from its knob sticks up and irritates users’ hands.
With a number one ranked food mill by no less an authority than Cook’s Illustrated, no doubt you are about to use one of the best food processing products on the market. Not only is this a handy and lightweight tool for your kitchen, but it is also a useful tool for fast processing of foods. The RSVP Classic Rotary Food Mill is also very easy to use. All you need to do is to select a disc and place it at the bottom of your food mill with the dome side up then insert your crank rod in the center of the disc. Place your crossbar into the anchor in your mixing bowl and press down to insert. You are then good to go.
Churn out fabulous and tasty food and vegetable sauces, creams, purees, soups, and jellies. Your creativity only limits you as you prepare a wide range of healthy options for you and your family. This food mill works well with steamed, cooked, and roasted food. With three stainless steel discs that you can change, prepare fine, medium, and coarsely textured sauces, purees, cream, and more. Surprisingly, the food mill’s plastic body is quite durable and is not prone to cracks and chips. Its long handle is comfortable to operate while its pot rests are also long enough to keep the mill steady during use. It fits well over any bowl or pot that is between 6-1/4″ to 10-1/4″ in diameter.
- Reasonably priced product for any budget
- Long-lasting product that is also efficient to use
- Assembly is simple and easy
- Handles are comfortable to use
- Designed for stability and a secure fit over bowls and pots
- Versatile for producing fine, medium, and coarse textured processed foods
- Safe to clean in a dishwasher (place on the top rack for best results).
- You need to remember to turn the crank handle both ways to get at all the food.
Ease and convenience are what you’ll experience with the Cuisipro Deluxe Food Mills. Prepare your favorite purees, creams, sauces, and other delights with a food mill that features a comfortable yet non-slip handle and a robust stainless-steel body. A great feature is its ground-breaking scraper that automatically separates the skin and seeds from the pulp – you don’t ever need to scrape your mill by hand.
Want to perform like a pro in the kitchen? Use the Cuisipro deluxe food mill to impress your family and friends. With three discs to choose for preparing fine, medium, and coarse textured food products experience flexibility in creating fantastic and tasty delights on your own. Furthermore, the extra-large vessel that fits comfortably over your pot or bowl makes it easy to contain the food you are preparing without creating a mess. The Cuisipro food mill also features on each side a roll bar that is plastic coated and a long handle that is non-slip.
- Quite versatile in the preparation of various textures of processed foods
- The large capacity bowl also features non-slip handles for easy use
- Easy to dismantle for cleaning and storage.
- The scraper tends to break during use
- It is a little challenging to keep the unit steady over pots or mixing bowls while processing food
- Small parts are not sold separately.
If you are skeptical about the food mills available on the market, then you haven’t met the RSVP International Endurance Food Mill. With this versatile kitchen tool, you’ll experience the joy of creating incredible sauces, jellies, juices, baby food, purees and anything else you want to make. Made with 18/10 stainless steel material that allows good hygiene, the RSVP International food mill is the perfect food processing machine.
Easily one of the finest tools for creating fine, medium, and coarse textures of processed foods, the RSVP International food mill allows you to be creative in the kitchen like a culinary champ. This food mill also features a handle that is designed for comfort and pot rests that are designed for stability. So, choose this efficient, versatile, and adequate food mill for processing your fruits, vegetables, and other food to your heart’s content.
- The food mill is easy to put together and use
- Versatile in creating various processed foods at home
- Time-saving tool for small food processing and canning tasks
- Great dimensions of 8” diameter by 4” height and a 7-1/2” handle
- Constructed of 18/10 stainless steel that is also easy to clean and not prone to stains.
- This food mill is also easy to pull apart for cleaning and storage.
- You may need a deep bowl to accommodate this food mill as its “ears” located at the top of the container are set too high.
Searching for the right food mill can be a frustrating task that is nothing short of torture. Thankfully, there is the Stainless-Steel Food Mill Flotte Lotte by GEFU. Not only can you expect a great food processing experience with this tool, but you won’t have to go through the disappointments that other, poorly designed food mills produce. Two features set this food mill apart from the competition – a vertical plate that stops food from moving and a pulp scraper that removes any accumulated pulp while you make your purees and sauces.
Another thing you’ll love about the Flotte Lotte is how easily it removes skins, fiber, and tiny seeds from the vegetables and fruit you process. It is an efficient tool to make jams, sauces, soups, compotes, and baby foods with your very own home ingredients. This food mill comes with two perforated discs that you can interchange to suit your purpose. So, choose this high- quality food mill and start creating the tasty and delightful treats for your entire family.
- This food mill efficiently strains to create sauces and other condiments
- Very easy to assemble and operate
- Also easy to remove and clean the parts
- The mill is well built and is not too lightweight
- Can be washed in a dishwasher
- This food mill is a little pricey, but it is worth the investment.
This is a stainless steel mill, 8 inches in diameter, which comes with a bar handle on one side that hooks and rests comfortably on the edge of the pan you are straining the vegetables into. It is easy to clean and dishwasher safe due to being made of stainless steel.
It comes with three sieve plates with different straining sizes, coarse, medium and fine. It can cope with cooked vegetables and fruits and most soft fruits (if you are making jam or jelly). If you need to strain finely to remove seeds, this is the best mill.
This mill is 8 inches in diameter, and is made of stainless steel (and is therefore dishwasher safe). It can strain about 1.5 to 2 quarts worth of fruit or vegetables.
It comes with four different sized strainer discs, which makes it incredibly versatile, and it comfortably strains most fruit seeds (ideal if you are making apple sauce or tomato ketchup). Kuchenprofi is a German brand and this mill is made in Germany.
What can you use your food mill to do?
I originally bought mine as a baby food mill to puree vegetables for baby food. But I’ve since used it to fine sieve cottage cheese to make cheesecake, and to make cream soups – the mill removes the tough fiber in asparagus if you are making cream of asparagus soup, and it’s great for creaming canned corn, neatly removing the corn skins. Basically anything with skins I want removed goes through the mill!
How to Use Food Mill
- To begin with, be absolutely sure to use the proper size disc depending on the foodstuff’s seed size, or on how fine you need the end results to be. For you to properly make use of your food mill, insert the removable conical discs with the pointed end up.
- Remember, the foods should be soft enough to pass through the holes. so be certain you blanch or boil food ahead of using the food mill. Furthermore, on a manual mill, reverse the rotation of the crank for one turn as soon as you have gone around 2 or 3 turns to help keep the food moving through the openings.
- Never turn the crank or turn the power on an unfilled mill. Running the mill empty can scratch the surface on the disks and cause it to become tough to operate in time. When you add food stuff, the pulp and liquids create a layer that prevents scraping, and makes turning the crank of the food mill a lot quite a bit easier.
- Here’s a tip for tomato eaters: tomato seeds will likely pass through openings bigger than two millimeters, but the larger sized hole discs are better for doing tomato sauce for pasta, pizza and salsa, so I remove the seeds from the tomatoes before milling them. I just take out the jelly and press it through a strainer because there’s a great deal of tomato taste in the jelly.
- Thoroughly clean your food mill frequently, to ensure that it can work clear of seeds and skins. Every mill will come apart for quick cleaning. Although it might be listed as “dishwasher safe” I prefer to hand wash my mill. A little dish soap as well as a gentle brush then a rinse and the cleanup is complete.
Looking for the best food mill can be quite a task if you are not sure what to look for. You might have used food mills in the past and are sure you can find the quality you are used to. Even if the food mills of your past were lousy, this is no reason to give up finding the right food mill for your purpose. Our food mill review has given you the heads up on recommended products that are among the best on the market. Now, it’s your turn to choose the most effective food mill for your home.